Five Hilariously Festive Christmas Movies
Five Hilariously Festive Christmas Movies
Christmas is a time for joy and cheer, when families and friends get together to celebrate. Many classic Christmas movies, such as "It's a Wonderful Life," showcase the sentimental value of the season. However, Christmas doesn't have to be all serious. Throughout the years, movie studios have released some hilarious Christmas comedy movies. These five popular Christmas comedy movies will have the entire family doubled over in laughter.
1. "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" is a classic holiday comedy that proves Christmas festivities don't always go smoothly. Follow Clark Griswold and his family as they attempt to navigate through life's troubles and still enjoy the holiday. Clark's having issues at work and fears he won't be receiving a Christmas bonus this year. In the midst of this, some unexpected and uninvited guests come to stay, and they're sure to make the holiday interesting, to say the least.
This movie is for more mature audiences, but adults everywhere will enjoy laughing their way through the story. Clark's many predicaments are surprisingly relatable, which makes them all the more humorous. The humor of everyday frustrations and annoyances contrasts nicely with the typical Christmas message of being together with family no matter what.
2. "Home Alone" is a Christmas comedy the whole family can enjoy. Macaulay Culkin stars as Kevin McCallister, a wisecracking kid who gets left home alone during Christmas. Kevin's large family is so busy getting ready for their Christmas trip to France that they accidentally forget to bring Kevin with them. While they're gone, Kevin has to fend off a pair of burglars on his own.
Kids and grownups alike will love this family-friendly comedy that's full of jokes, gags, and a Christmas message of love and forgiveness. Kids will love the cartoon-like violence that ensues as Kevin fights off the burglars, and adults will find humor in the many one-liners sprinkled throughout the movie.
3. "Elf" is a more recent Christmas comedy, and it has an all-star cast that includes Will Ferrell, James Caan, and Zooey Deschanel. Buddy the Elf, played by Will Ferrell, discovers he's actually not an elf at all. He's a human who was adopted by an elf as a baby. When he finds out this news, he goes on a magical journey to New York City to find his birth father. However, New York is not as friendly a place as the North Pole, and Buddy must learn to adjust.
"Elf" includes the magic of Santa, clay animation, and other Christmas movie classics. However, it gives events a funny twist. Kids will crack up at the silly things that Buddy does and says, and grownups may catch a few jokes that will go over the kids' heads.
4. "A Christmas Story" is a Christmas comedy that adults will enjoy just as much as kids, because it takes them back to childhood. All Ralphie wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder B.B. gun, but the grownups are too busy telling him that he'll shoot his eye out, and nobody seems to take his request seriously.
Enjoy laughing along with this classic comedy as you recall the good old days of making lists for Santa and trying to convince adults you should get what you want. Kids will relate to Ralphie's plight and find it very humorous.
5. "The Santa Clause" answers the age-old question, "Who is Santa Claus?" When Scott Calvin accidentally kills Santa Claus, he begrudgingly accepts a legally and magically binding clause that causes him to take on the role of Santa himself. As Calvin adjusts to his new life as Santa Claus, he has trouble balancing his job and his parenting responsibilities with managing the elves at the North Pole.
In addition to making you laugh, "The Santa Clause" will prove that Santa is real. It also gives you a fun little insight into how Santa visits all those houses in one night, how he fits through chimneys, and how he knows who's naughty and who's nice. Laugh along with Santa Claus as he figures these things out for himself.
While you certainly don't want to throw out your classic Christmas drama DVDs, you should make room in your yearly Christmas movie rotation for these five lighthearted Christmas comedy movies. Part of making the holidays merry and bright is bringing laughter into your home as much as possible, and these movies can do just that. So, grab a bowl of popcorn and settle in for some seasonal hilarity.