"Mama" sequel in the works
Universal is planning a 'Mama' franchise.
The studio is hoping to capitalise on the success of its hit horror film starring Academy Award nominee Jessica Chastain - which topped the US box office last month - by developing a sequel after the film grossed triple its $15 million budget.
Universal Pictures executive David Kosse told Screen Daily: ''We think there's potential for a 'Mama' franchise. We'd like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages.
'''Mama' is the first of this type of model that we've had enormous success with so there are more opportunities for this kind of film.''
Despite the studio's eagerness to shoot a sequel, the film's director Andres Muschietti previously revealed he would not be interested in a follow-up film because the subject matter had been worn out.
He said: ''We sort of wore out the subject matter...I never thought this could continue. Sequels are always tricky. I know how studios think but I don't see 'Mama' as something you can exploit because you're screwing with the original. I'm really hoping to jump into some other movies right now.''
The film's success was spurred by Jessica's Oscar nominated turn in 'Zero Dark Thirty', and also stars 'Game of Thrones' actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.
'Mama' is out in the UK on Friday (22.02.13).